Mark Twain/'ma:k 'twein/ 马克·吐温 (美国作家)
birthplace /'b?:θpleis/ n. 出生地;故乡
Florida /'fl?rid?/ n.佛罗里达镇(位于密苏里州) 佛罗里达州(美国州名)
bring up 抚养;培养;教育;提出
Hannibal /'h?nibl/ n. 汉尼拔(美国城市)
Missouri /mi'zu?ri/ n.密苏里州(美国州名)
Mississippi /misi'sipi/ n.密西西比河;密西西比州(美国州名)
novel /'n?v?l/ n. 小说;长篇故事 adj. 新奇的;异常的
boyhood /'b?ihud/ n. 少年时代
adventure /?d'vent??/ n. 奇遇;冒险
Tom Sawyer /'s?:j?/ 汤姆·索亚(人名)
Huckleberry Finn /'h?klb?ri 'fin/ 哈克贝利·费恩(人名)
phrase /freiz/ n. 短语;词组;惯用语
fathom /'f?e?m/ n. 长度单位(六英尺)
author /'?:θ?/ n. 著者;作家
Samuel Langhorne Clemens /'s?mju?l 'l??h?:n 'klem?nz/ 塞缪尔·兰霍恩·克莱门斯(人名)
scene /si:n/ n. (戏剧)一场;现场;场面;景色
narrator /n?'reit?/ n. 讲述者;叙述者
Roderick /'r?drik/ n.罗德里克(男名)
Oliver /'?liv?/ n.奥利弗(男名)
bet /bet/ n. 赌;打赌 vt. & vt. 打赌;赌钱
make a bet 打赌
penniless /'penilis/ adj. 贫困的;身无分文的
wander /'w?nd?/ vi. 漫游;漫步;漂泊
pavement /'peivm?nt/ n. 人行道(= <美> sidewalk)
businessman /'biznism?n/ n. 商人
permit /p?'mit/ vt. & vi. 许可;允许;准许 /'p?:mit/ n. 通行证;许可证;执照
ahead /?'hed/ adv. 在前;向前;提前
go ahead 前进;(用于祈使句)可以;往下说
by accident 偶然;无意中;不小心
bay /bei/ n. 海湾
stare /ste?/ vi. 凝视;盯着看
stare at 盯着看;凝视
nightfall /'naitf?:l/ n. 黄昏
fault /f?:lt/ n. 过错;缺点;故障
spot /sp?t/ vt. 发现;认出 n. 斑点;污点;地点
passage /'p?s?d?/ n. 船费(包括食宿);通道;(一)段
unpaid /?n'peid/ adj. 未付款的;不受报酬的
account /?'kaunt/ vi. & vt. 认为;说明;总计有 n. 说明;理由;计算;帐目
account for 导致;做出解释
embassy /'emb?si/ n. 大使馆;大使及其官员
seek /si:k/ vt. & vi.(sought /s?:t/, sought) 寻找;探索;寻求
patience /'pei??ns/ n. 耐性;忍耐
contrary /'k?ntr?ri/ n. 反面;对立面 adj. 相反的;相违的
on the contrary 与此相反;正相反
charity /'t??riti/ n. 慈善(团体);施舍
envelope /'env?l?up/ n. 信封
unbelievable /?nbi'li:v?bl/ adj. 难以置信的
steak /steik/ n. (供煎;烤的)肉块;鱼排;牛排
pineapple /'pain?pl/ n. 菠萝
dessert /di'z?:t/ n. 餐后甜点
amount /?'maunt/ n. 数量
take a chance 冒险
rude /ru:d/ adj. 粗鲁的;无礼的
manner /'m?n?/ n. 礼貌;举止;方式
scream /skri:m/ vi. 尖声叫 n. 尖叫声;喊叫声
genuine /'d?enjuin/ adj. 真的;真诚的
issue /'isju:/ vt. & vi. 发行(钞票等);发布(命令);出版(杂志等)
fake /feik/ n. 假货;欺骗 adj. 假的
rag /r?ɡ/ n. 破布;碎布
in rags 衣衫褴褛
indeed /in'di:d/ adv. 真正地;确实;实在
as for 关于;至于
bow /b?u/ vi. & n. 鞠躬;弯腰
barber /'bɑ:b?/ n. 理发师
THE MILLION POUND BANK NOTE
Act I,Scene3
第一幕,第3场
NARRATOR:It is the summer of 1903.Two old and wealthy brothers, Roderick and Oliver, have made a bet.Oliver believes that with a million pound bank note a man could survive a month in London.His brother Roderick doubts it.At this moment, they see a penniless young man wandering on the pavement outside their house.It is Henry Adams, an American businessman, who is lost in London and does not know what he should do.
旁白:1903年的夏天.一对年老又富有的兄弟,罗德里克和奥利弗,打了一个赌.奥利弗认为,一个人靠一张百万英镑的钞票在伦敦能活一个月.他的兄弟罗德里克对此表示怀疑.这时,他们看见一个身无分文的年轻人在房子外面的人行道上游荡.他叫亨利.亚当斯,一个美国商人,在伦敦迷了路,不知道该怎么办.
RODERICK: Young man, would you step inside a moment, please?
罗德里克:年轻人,请进来一会儿,好吗?
HENRY: Who? Me, sir?
亨 利:先生,你叫谁来呀?是叫我吗?
RODERICK: Yes, you.
罗德里克:是的,就是你.
OLIVER: Through the front door on your left.
奥利弗:从你左侧的前门进来.
HENRY: (A servant opens a door) Thanks.
亨 利:(仆人给他打开门)谢谢.
SERVANT: Good morning, sir. Would you please come in? Permit me to lead the way,sir
仆 人:早上好,先生,请进.先生,请让我来带路吧.
.OLIVER: (Henry enters) Thank you, James. That will be all.
奥利弗:(亨利走进来)谢谢你,詹姆斯,没你的事了
.
RODERICK: How do you do, Mr ... er ...?
罗德里克:你好,先生,你贵姓?
Adams. Henry Adams.
亨 利:亚当斯,亨利.亚当斯.
OLIVER: Come and sit down, Mr Adams
奥利弗:来,请坐,亚当斯先生.
HENRY: Thank you.
亨 利:谢谢.
RODERICK: You're an American?
罗德里克:你是美国人?
HENRY: That's right, from San Francisco.
亨 利:是的,从旧金山来.
RODERICK: How well do you know London?
罗德里克:你对伦敦熟悉吗?
HENRY: Not at all, it's my first trip here.
亨 利:一点儿也不熟,这是我第一次来伦敦.
RODERICK: I wonder, Mr Adams, if you'd mind us asking a few questions.
罗德里克:亚当斯先生,不知你是否介意我们问几个问题?
HENRY: Not at all. Go right ahead.
亨 利:不介意,请问吧.
RODERICK: May we ask what you're doing in this country and what your plans are?
罗德里克:可不可以问问,你在这个国家干点儿什么?你的计划又是什么呢?
HENRY: Well, I can't say that I have any plans. I'm hoping to find work.As a matter of fact, I landed in Britain by accident.
亨 利:嗯,谈不上有什么计划,我希望能找到工作.事实上,我在英国上岸是偶然的.
OLIVER: How is that possible?
奥利弗:这怎么可能呢?
HENRY: Well, you see, back home I had my own boat.About a month ago, I was sailing out of the bay ...(his eyes stare at what is left of the brother's dinner on table)
亨 利:嗯,你看,在美国的时候,我有我自己的船.大约一个月前,我开船驶出海湾……(他的眼睛盯着兄弟俩留在餐桌上的残羹剩菜上).
OLIVER: Well, go on.
罗德里克:往下说呀.
HENRY: Oh, yes. Well, towards nightfall I found myself carried out to sea by a strong wind.It was all my fault. I didn't know whether I could survive until morning.The next morning I'd just about given myself up for lost when I was spotted by a ship.
亨 利:哦,好的.嗯,傍晚时分我发现我被一阵大风刮到海上去了.这都是我的错.我不知道是否能活到早晨.第二天早上,我正感到绝望的时候,一艘海船发现了我.
OLIVER: And it was the ship that brought you to England.
罗德里克:正是那艘船把你带到了英国.
HENRY: Yes. The fact is that I earned my passage by working as an unpaid hand,which accounts for my appearance.I went to the American embassy to seek help, but ...(The brothers smile at each other.)
亨 利:是的.事实上我靠做义工来顶替船费.这就是我为什么衣冠不整的原因了.我上美国大使馆求助,但是……(兄弟俩相顾而笑).
RODERICK: Well, you mustn't worry about that. It's an advantage.
罗德里克:嗯,这一点你倒不必担心,这还是优点呢.
HENRY: I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, sir.
亨 利:对不起,先生,你的话我没有听懂.
RODERICK: Tell us, Mr Adams, what sort of work did you do in America?
奥利弗:亚当斯先生,请你告诉我们,你在美国干哪个行当?
HENRY: I worked for a mining company.Could you offer me some kind of work here?
亨 利:我在一家矿业公司工作.你们能不能给我提供一份工作呢?
RODERICK: Patience, Mr Adams.
If you don't mind, may I ask you how much money you have?
罗德里克:耐心点儿,亚当斯先生,如果你不介意,我能不能问问,你手头儿有多少钱?
HENRY: Well, to be honest, I have none.
亨 利:嗯,老实说,我一分钱都没有了.
OLIVER: (happily) What luck! Brother, what luck! (claps his hands together)
奥利弗:(高兴地)老兄,真走运!真有运气!(鼓起掌来)
HENRY: Well, it may seem lucky to you but not to me!On the contrary, in fact. If this is your idea of some kind of joke, I don't think it's very funny.(Henry stands up to leave) Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll be on my way.
亨 利:嗯,这对你们来说可能是运气,但对我来说可不是.事实上,正好相反.如果你们认为这是一个笑话,我可不觉得很好笑.(亨利起身准备走)好了,请原谅,我想我该上路了.
RODERICK: Please don't go, Mr Adams.You mustn't think we don't care about you. Oliver, give him the letter.
罗德里克:亚当斯先生,请别走.你千万不要以为我们不在意你的感受.奥利弗,把信给他.
OLIVER: Yes, the letter. (gets it from a desk and gives it to Henry like a gift) The letter
奥利弗:是,那封信.(从桌上把信拿起来,像送礼品一样递给亨利)给你信.
HENRY: (taking it carefully) For me?
亨 利:(小心翼翼地接过信)是给我吗?
RODERICK: For you. (Henry starts to open it) Oh, no, you mustn't open it.Not yet. You can't open it until two o'clock.
罗德里克:是给你的.(亨利要拆信)啊,别拆,你不要拆,现在不是时候,到两点钟你才能打开.
HENRY: Oh, this is silly
亨 利:噢,这真可笑.
RODERICK: Not silly. There's money in it. (calls to the servant) James?
罗德里克:这不可笑,这里边有钱呢.(叫仆人)詹姆斯?
HENRY: Oh, no. I don't want your charity. I just want an honest job.
亨 利:噢,不,我不需要你们的施舍,我只要一份老老实实的工作.
.RODERICK: We know you're hard-working.That's why we've given you the letter. James, show Mr Adams out.
罗德里克:我们知道你工作是很卖力的,这正是我们给你这封信的原因.詹姆斯,请送亚当斯先生出去.
OLIVER: Good luck, Mr Adams.
奥利弗:祝你好运,亚当斯先生.
HENRY: Well, why don't you explain what this is all about?
亨 利:嗯,怎么不给我讲讲,这究竟是什么回事呢?
RODERICK: You'll soon know. (looks at the clock) In exactly an hour and a half.
罗德里克:你很快就会明白的,(看看钟)一个半小时以后.
SERVANT: This way, sir.
仆 人:请这边走,先生.
RODERICK:Mr Adams, not until 2 o'clock. Promise?
罗德里克:亚当斯先生,两点钟以前不要拆信,答应吗?
HENRY: Promise. Goodbye
亨 利:答应,谢谢.再见!
期待小可爱们在下方留言“每日打卡”,
让我看到你们的坚持!
每日一练,点击阅读
● 这老师是“鬼才”!高中英语3年考点做“1张表”,全班均分130+
● 【听力合集】高中英语听力训练
● 每日一题|语法填空(1-40合集)
?标签:高考英语 每日一题